Fig and Cranberry Chutney
Makes 2-4 jars
- 500g onions, chopped
- Scrap of oil
- 1kg diced apples, any will do but try to include some Bramleys
- 500ml cider vinegar
- 400g demerara sugar
- 200g dried figs, diced
- 125g dried cranberries
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Generous glass of port
- 5cm piece root ginger, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves
- 12 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 100g walnuts, roughly chopped
Start by sweating the onion in a scrap of oil then add the
apple. Pour over the vinegar and sugar and and
stir well until the sugar has melted.
Add the fruits to the pot then after that the orange zest and juice, followed by the port.
Next it's time to put together your spices. Tie the
ginger, cloves, cardamom pods and coriander seeds in a clean square of
muslin and secure with string. Immerse the pouch deep in the simmering
chutney and let it bubble away for an hour or so, making sure to stir it
regularly so it doesn't catch on the bottom.
Add the walnuts and cook for a final 30 minutes. If you
can part your chutney and see a little bit of pan on the bottom you are
- Decant the warm chutney into sterilised jars, seal with vinegar-proof lids and allow to cool.
Don't forget to check out the AJE teams Black Friday sales - details and coupon codes here.