Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Upcycling - Part Two

In my last post, I showed you some raw electrical copper and some small ceramic tiles I was planning on upcycling into a new creation.  I wanted to show you my progress.

This is the raw copper I was using from an electrical job I worked on.  It's 12 gauge copper, I determined, so it needed to be annealed before I could do anything with it!

 This is the copper after annealing and hammering.
 This is the copper after adding some texture.  Have to anneal again to make it straight!

 Copper after being annealed, it has a lot of firescale on it.  You can get rid of this easily with pickle.  I use warm pickle, I don't have a pickle pot so I just make a fresh batch each time. Maybe some day I'll get myself a pot just for pickle!

  This is the copper after pickling, then patinating with Liver of Sulphur, and doing a light sand on it to bring out highlights.  Filed the ends to make them smooth.  Then I sealed it with renaissance wax.

 Arranging the tiles.  I found out E6000 glue will not stick to a piece polished with renaissance wax, so I had to sand the area where the tiles were going to go.

 Making sure I like the placement of the tiles.

 These tiles are finally glued on.  I now have to decide what type of necklace to make with this pendant.  I really like it as a statement to what you can do with "spare parts" but don't know that I would actually wear something like this - would you?



Susan Kennedy
SueBeads

10 comments :

  1. I don't see why anyone wouldn't wear it, I love the textures in the little tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely wear it! I'm slowly getting into some hammering since I asked for a bench block and hammer for Christmas. There is something so wonderful about banging on a piece of wire and what you can make with such a simple technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could agree more! Even when I only have a couple of minutes, I hammer away at a couple of copper washers! And ...in this weather, it helps warm a body up!

      Delete
  3. very cool idea - love mixing found objects and this is a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would totally wear it! Maybe keep the necklace simple to let the pendant to speak for itself—perfect for everyday wear! I think it's so nice that the materials come from things that have a back story for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it has great potential as a pendant. Love making things with things with recycled items.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you've done with this. I certainly WOULD wear this...if I still worked outside the home and wore jewelry. I think it would work great with one of my 'business suits'.

    Everyone goes on and on about how good E6000 is as a glue. I don't have any luck with it. I find it rubbery and it doesn't hold well at all. Do you have an idea what I might be doing wrong...or is this just the nature of the beast?

    Not sure why, in the preview, it says I am anonymous. Elizabeth Drake here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great Sue! I still think I'd use resin instead of E6000 to attach the tiles to the wire. You'll be able to pull the tiles off the wire, even after the glue has dried. They won't fall off, but could be pulled off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very short so it would be too long on me, but I really like it and if it were shorter, or the other way round I'd wear it with pride! Love what you did with the copper

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep going!!!! I am loving this series!!!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.