Sunday, October 5, 2014

Crow

As we advance into Fall, I begin to reflect inward. My creative output tends toward ever more meditative themes. Crow makes an appearance, both in my work and in my musings...

A necklace from Fall of last year, with one of my Crow beads...

Crow as symbolic meaning in many cultures. According to the authors at "Spirit Animals and Totems"...

"The crow is a spirit animal associated with life mysteries and magic. The power of this bird as totem and spirit guide is provide insight and means of supporting intentions. Sign of luck, it is also associated with the archetype of the trickster; be aware of deceiving appearances. If the crow has chosen you as your spirit or totem animal, it supports you in developing the power of sight, transformation, and connection with life’s magic."

However, while in a teaching circle with a Hopi woman a few years ago, I learned of another interpretation that resonates most strongly with me. I previously had had a dream in which I saw (quite vividly) a hammered copper star surrounded by a circle of crows. When I related this dream to Jeremie (my teacher), she brought out a "dreaming blanket" that she had made, onto which she had stitched the representation of a copper star surrounded by a flight of 12 black crows. This was strikingly like what I had seen in my dream. She told me that crows were both the bringer of, and the guardian (or guide) of dreams. I would really like to draw this image and hope to do so soon.

In another context, crow appears in the form of "Crow Mother ", one of the Hopi kachinas. The story is that Crow Mother makes her appearance with a basket of sprouts symbolizing the miracle of seed germination in the midst of winter. This is sometimes depicted as a basket of corn or an ear of corn. I am fascinated by this figure, and want to represent it somehow in clay. I tucked this idea away in the back of my brain, and will wait to see what comes out of it. 



In the meantime, during the past few days, I created some crow images in drawings and clay...




Finally, here's a performance set by Robbie Robertson and the Red Crow Ensemble. In the first song, "Ghost Dance", Crow as Messenger is mentioned ... after this song is a wonderful performance of "Mahk Jchi" so be sure to listen all the way through. :)

10 comments :

  1. The Robbie Robertson viceo sets the mood of your blog, and your artistry, perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved Robbie Robertson - I especially love that particular album. :)

      Delete
  2. wonderful post Karen - really enjoyed the history and the music!! not to mention the beads (but that goes without saying :O )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crow bead caught my attention immediately. As I began to read your background story it sparked me to think about how I can incorporate some recent meditation journeys with (white rabbit and white rhino). I've been wanting to bring some of them into my work as I am beginning to make beads in addition to jewelry but my mind felt sort of stuck on where to start. Your post inspires me and gives me a great beginning point. It feels rich to blend both worlds, using creativity to bring the animal essences to form. I just adore that crow bead! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gaia - good luck with your creative journey. :)

      Delete
  4. what a wonderful way of looking at crows as creative spirit. i have always gotten a different feeling for crows than the prevailing cultural ideas, I like the ones you were presented with better. I am impressed with the dream image coming through so clearly for you, such a strong symbolic image, how very rich/ You have changed my view of crows for the positive(and I wear one tattooed on my skin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... I am glad I was able to help you see Crow in a new light. :)

      Delete
  5. This is a fascinating account of these clever & intelligent creatures. I enjoyed seeing your sketches and the crow bead you made is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.