Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Trying Something New

Do you have a lesson or a 'thing' that you keep meaning to do but never get around to? Mine was LifeBook, for the last couple of years I have been watching the talented Tamara Laporte of Willowing Arts YouTube chanel and I kept meaning to sign up to her LifeBook course but would always talk myself out of it....
  • I don't have the supplies....
  • I'm not that good....
  • I have only painted 2 or 3 times since leaving school (many years ago)....
  • I don't need another hobby....
  • I really, really don't have the space...
LifeBook 2016
But this year I just did it, I signed up! I got over all the excuses and just decided that life is too short to keep putting things I want to do off. If I did not sign up then I would never get the supplies, if I don't give it a try I will never be any good or get better, I enjoy having lots of hobbies as I hate being bored and space.... I will just have to tidy up and organise all my stuff!

'Creativity Takes Courage' Warm Up Exercise
I'm very new to the world of mixed media and that is quiet scary but what I love about this course is the support given is wonderful, there is info on colour theory for those like me that are scared of colour (seriously I love colour but am scared to use it because for me it can make or break a design) , there is a warm up exersise to help combat 'blank page fear', the lessons are just amazing, there are diffrent teachers so you are not just learning one style and you are told that it's fine if you don't like what you create (which happens to me quiet often) just keep going and you will get there!

'The Happy Traveller' lesson by Tamara Laporte
I must admit at first I was some what overwhelmed by the amount of information that was given and at first the fact that I knew I would not be able keep up with lessons bothered me (I'm still amazed how much time goes into each piece of mixed media work) but once I got over that and decided to just do it at my own pace things have been going really well!

Close Up View
I have already learnt so much and I am only 2 weeks into the course (the course is now on week 6 and I may catch up or I may not, I may just bumble along at my own pace and that is fine) and I'm using colour! Big bold bright colours, lots of them!

'This Year I Am Letting Go Of' Zentangle Butterfly
So what dose this have to do with Art Jewellery? Well lots! I am hoping that during this course my drawing skills improve so that I have the courage to be able to draw and then etch my own designs on metal sheet, I would love to be able to make mini pieces of art to set in resin or behind glass and then make into components or pendents, and I would be crazy happy if I got completely over my fear of colour!

If you would like to follow my mixed media journey you can via Instagram!
So what is it that you keep meaning to do but never get around to?






12 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for this lovely write up Niky! I LOVE the art you made and yay for using bold colours. You are super brave (and did SO Well with them). Glad you're enjoying the course so much. Gratitude. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Tam, loveing the course! x

      Delete
  2. Bravo for you! I can relate; I love learning and trying new things. And, like you, I dove in this year. There are way too many lessons in the two (yes, two) classes I'm enrolled in. But I'm finding a lot of empowerment and joy in just doing what I want, rather than worrying about "keeping up".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I like being busy but I don't think I could manage two classes. I hope you are having as much fun as I am!

      Delete
  3. Awesome I admire your courage. You are right, life is too short to see back and watch others. I can't wait to see where this class takes you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did Lifebook last year and I loved it! My skills improved so much and I plan on doing it again next year. I plan on finally using my glass enamel painting kit to paint scenes on my enameled pendants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kristen that sounds fab, I love enamel! I have a few kits that I need to get around to using too!

      Delete
  5. YESYESYESYESYES. this is so exciting. And your drawing skills are great so far! Jump! Your wings will appear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol "Your wings will appear!" Jenny I may have to steal that for a piece!

      Delete
  6. You are off to a fabulous start! Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.